The Blue Planet Review
SEARCH IN  
Click here to buy posters
In Association with Amazon.com
 
ORDER DVD
 BUY THE DVD
  
 
  
ORDER THIS POSTER
BUY THE POSTER  
 
Though we tend to spend most of our time thinking about the parts of our planet that are covered by land, that’s actually only a small percentage of the Earth—30%, to be exact. The other 70% is covered in water—and that water has its own mysterious inhabitants with their own stories to tell. The five-disc BBC documentary series, The Blue Planet: Seas of Life, tells many of those stories—even some that have never been told before—presenting them all in breathtaking detail.

The eight episodes of The Blue Planet cover various aspects of the planet’s bodies of water—from the coasts and the changing tides to the open ocean and the mysterious ocean depths. Some episodes feature more familiar creatures—the ones you can see at your favorite zoo. You’ll see polar bears and seals, penguins and otters, lizards and turtles, sharks and dolphins. You’ll see how they live, how they mate, and how they interact with one another.

  
 
Other episodes, however, include creatures you’ve never seen at the aquarium—creatures that seem so strange that they don’t even look real. Some of them have never actually been seen before. And many of them look more like something from a sci-fi movie than a wildlife documentary. For that reason, episode four, “The Deep,” is the most astonishing episode in the series. Cameras travel more than a mile down into the ocean to capture some of the strangest sea creatures you’ll ever see—creatures with transparent bodies and even flashing lights. They’re strange and surprising—and some of them are pretty creepy.

The Blue Planet gives viewers a fascinating, in-depth look at a mostly unfamiliar world. While some episodes (especially number four) are more captivating and fast-paced than others, the whole series is simply stunning. All of the footage is crisp and clear—so clear, in fact, that it will make you feel like you’re right there, swimming with the sharks. Everything about this series just comes together perfectly—from the spectacular footage to the stunning soundtrack and sound effects to the narration by David Attenborough.

In addition to the eight episodes, the five-disc special edition includes an entire disc of special features—with four additional features—as well as a number of features included on each of the other four discs. So once you’ve made your way through the whole series, there’s still much, much more to see.

If you’ve ever wanted to learn more about life under the sea—or even if you haven’t—you’ll be completely amazed by The Blue Planet. It’s an awe-inspiring series that’s sure to give you a whole new appreciation for the mysterious 70% of the planet.

Submissions Contributors Advertise About Us Contact Us Disclaimer Privacy Links Awards Request Review Contributor Login
© Copyright 2002 - 2018 NightsAndWeekends.com. All rights reserved.